Full-Time Director of Hockey
Director of Hockey | Maidenhead Hockey Club
Maidenhead Hockey Club is seeking a talented and proactive Director of Hockey to continue the
club’s vision of continued growth and success at every level.
Supported by a team of paid and volunteer coaches within our active club, this is a senior management position that will provide leadership on both the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of Maidenhead HC and its adult and colts hockey programmes.
Maidenhead Hockey Club is located at Altwood Astro off Altwood Road in Maidenhead and was established in 1904. We have an active adult’s section with 5 teams in the Ladies Section and 7 in the Mens and a hugely successful and growing Colts section.
The Men’s 1st XI play in the Men’s England Hockey League Premier Division and the Ladies 1st XI play in the Women’s Hockey League Conference East.
Key responsibilities of the role
Strategy & Leadership (in partnership with the Men’s & Ladies coaches)
- Produce and deliver a strategic plan for the development of Hockey at Maidenhead Hockey Club to include junior, men’s and ladies’ hockey to ensure we offer a balance of opportunities at both elite and social levels
- Build and lead a culture of both excellence and participation throughout all sections of the hockey club, where a strong focus on learning and development supports long-term individual athlete and team success
- Champion the men’s and ladies’ elite teams’ pursuit of excellence by supporting and facilitating recruitment, selection, coaching a alongside the appointed team coaches
- Initiate an performance programme to achieve the strategic goals of the elite teams
- Evaluate and monitor progress against the strategic plan objectives
- Produce and execute a strategic plan for the medium and long-term development of junior hockey
- Liaise closely with the Head of Colts and Coaches to drive the Junior programme, ensuring a balance of participation and excellence
- Organise and run the Maidenhead HC’S hockey camps and work with the team to outreach to local schools within the area.
- Work with the Management Team the fixtures and bookings coordinator to ensure the successful delivery of senior and colts programmes across multiple sites within budget
- Work closely with the Hockey Management Team for the greater good of the hockey
- Lead the recruitment of coaches across both the colts and senior programmes, ensuring we are attracting the best coaches with the appropriate qualifications and speciality skills knowledge where required and also work with the current volunteer Coaching Crew offering them training to upskill as required.
- Work closely with the umpiring coordinator to ensure appropriate umpires are present and in attendance for all Support the Hockey Co-Ordinator in organising and delivering umpiring training courses across the year
- Oversee the planning and delivery of all EHL competitions including budget management,
- Support the team captains and managers by providing clear communication and maintaining relationships, ensuring any issues and concerns are resolved.
- Organise and manage an extensive Hockey Camp programme to involve club Coaches, International Players and Senior Colts Coaching Crew. Camps will take place during all major holidays and throughout the school summer
- Prepare, deliver and manage budgets for the Coaching delivery within Maidenhead Hockey Club.
- Participate in the development and execution of income-generating activities that can financially support the performance programme and wider club
- Working alongside the management team and Marketing team on the marketing and communication strategy, ensuring the utilisation of all available and appropriate social media and communication tools
- Identify and review opportunities and avenues through which to positively promote and publicise Maidenhead HC.
- Attend Maidenhead HC prize giving ceremonies and all internal and external social events
- Actively work to promote Maidenhead HC in the relevant sporting circles and in the community
- Work closely with senior management and major stake holders of Maidenhead HC acting as a representative of the club.
- Prepare regular reports on the performance and status of Maidenhead HC for the management team.
The purpose of this job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. Some areas of the role may vary from time to time and as a result the expected times of work can vary, often including evening and weekend work. Professional flexibility will be granted to ensure this is possible.
Your application will be reviewed against the essential and desirable criteria listed below. Applicants are strongly advised to include evidence and examples of how they meet each criterion in their application
- Significant experience of strategic planning and leadership of a hockey programme, both on and off the pitch
- Proven experience of coaching high-performance hockey, including substantial experience of coaching high-level players and/or talented young players
- Level 3 Hockey Coaching Qualification or equivalent experience (or the willingness and ability to achieve within 12 months of starting the role)
- Proven experience in the development of long-term coaching programmes, including knowledge of current and innovative coaching and training concepts
- Experience and understanding in dealing with England Hockey and finding solutions to typical hockey club operational challenges
- Hockey appropriate First Aid and Health & Safety qualifications (willingness to update these if out of date)
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and empower a multi-disciplinary team to deliver key performance outcomes
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral
- IT skills necessary for financial analysis, report writing and general communication, including competency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Flexibility and willingness to work irregular hours as necessary
- Legal right to work in the UK
- Desire and ability to work towards advanced / specialist coaching awards and qualifications
- Experience of participating in high-level club and international hockey
- Sport-related degree or equivalent experience
|Hours:||The position is offered on a full-time contract. This would include Coaching on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings, Sundays and Saturdays if available.
The club is supportive, where possible, of flexible working arrangements
|Other Benefits:||Annual club membership
Training and development opportunities
Discounted/ free food and drink at clubhouse
How to ApplyApplications Please submit your CV with a cover letter detailing your suitability for the role to email@example.com. Shortlisted and successful candidates will be invited for interview.
1100 total views, 1 today