Contract-Temp Junior Hockey Coaching Programme
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Wimbledon Hockey Club – Junior Hockey Coaching Programme
Wimbledon Hockey Club, based in South West London, is looking for inspirational young hockey players to join its Junior Performance Coaching team starting in September 2018. Each candidate should be a role-model and mentor for our junior players at the club. In exchange for 35 hours work per week, you will be provided with free accommodation and have home bills and some weekly food requirements covered. You will also be given free membership to the club with the opportunity to participate as a player with access to some of the highest quality coaches in the game. Each candidate will be supported to start or progress their coaching qualifications with financial support and mentoring to England Hockey Level 2 equivalent standard and beyond. Each candidate will be assigned an elite player/coach mentor and given a personal development plan focussed on improving their hockey coaching delivery. This will include the opportunity to work with and learn from world-class coaches and players.
The opportunity is open to all and is particularly well suited to high-performing gap-year athletes. Successful candidates will be part of young dynamic elite team, guided and supported by one of the best clubs in Europe, housed for free with host families known and connected to the club, and taught by world-class hockey players and coaches, with some spending money to enjoy one of the greatest cities in the world. This is a huge opportunity to make connections that will support their future coaching & playing career.
• Successful candidates will play to a high standard and have the hockey knowledge required to coach junior players who represent the Club at regional level
• Ideally the candidate will have hockey coaching experience and will have worked with young people previously (although high standard hockey athletes with a keen interest and an ability to learn quickly will be considered without prior coaching experience)
• Candidates must be able to speak fluent English
• Coaches need to be ambassadors for the club operating as inspirational role models – bringing energy, enthusiasm and a high standard of personal conduct to bring them in line with the current world-class coaching team, many of whom are current international players
• Candidates must have the right to live & work in the UK
• The role starts September 2018 running for 7 months through to the end of March 2019
• The working week comprises 35 hours of coaching for approx. £250 per week depending on level of coaching experience
• Free accommodation and bills are included – each candidate will be provided a room within one of our host families located in and around Wimbledon. Depending on numbers, some candidates may be housed in a shared house/flat with other participants
• Food is provided by the host family as part of their normal family meals. Special food requirements and eating out is paid for by the coach
• 30 of the 35 hours per week will be dedicated to hockey coaching with the remaining 5 hours assigned to helping the host family with appropriate tasks including: extra coaching for the host family, babysitting, taking kids to school etc.
• Extra money may be earned by performing additional tasks for the host family
• Coaches will work 6 days per week during the 24 week season with Saturday off
• During the 6-month season, there will be occasional weeks off for 2 half terms and for Christmas. These in-season off weeks will give an opportunity for coaches to relax, travel or seek extra work. There is no payment for off-weeks although food and accommodation will continue to be provided
• Much of the mid-week coaching will be performed in the evening although there will also be day-time coaching as part of the local schools’ outreach project.
About Wimbledon Hockey Club
With 20 international players and 10 Olympians, Wimbledon are one of the top hockey teams in Europe. Their men topped the English National League last season and reached the final 4 of the European Championships and their women play national league and are packed with star players including Crista Cullen (MBE) who won Olympic gold in Rio. The club is situated within a drag-flick of The All England Club – home of the famous Wimbledon tennis tournament situated in the leafy suburbs of London. With world class players comes world class coaches – Ben Hawes, men’s first team coach, is 3 time Olympian and ex-GB captain. Michael Hoare coaches the top women’s team in between adding to his 120 England and GB caps. At the top of the club sits Ben Marsden, Director of Hockey. Ben has represented Great Britain at the Olympics and has been an even more successful Head Coach, recognised by England Hockey who awarded him the Club Coach of the Year award in 2016.
Wimbledon has one of the largest and high performing junior sections in England comprising 700 young players, with over 50 playing regional representative hockey or above. Inclusivity and contribution to the community is also a high priority and the club are very proud of the schools outreach programme launched in 2017 which has so far helped over 2,000 local state school children have more access to hockey. Significant expansion of the outreach programme is planned for 2018/19, with the gap year coaches playing a major role in this expansion. Approximately 15 international players, including current GB hockey captains; Phil Roper and Ian Sloan, are part of the current junior player coaching team. Therefore, the gap year coaches will work alongside some of the world’s best players and coaches.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your CV to email@example.com
Unless specified in the job description, you must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.
651 total views, 3 today