Contract-Temp Assistant Hockey Coach
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Reference Number: 015205
Post: Assistant Hockey Coach
Department: Experience Durham
Contract Type: Fixed Term Full Time (35 hrs pw)
Grade: Grade 5 (£21,585 to £24,983)
Durham University is seeking to recruit a full time Assistant Hockey Coach to work alongside the University’s Performance Coach to deliver the Durham University Hockey programme.
The successful applicant will either be a Level 2 coach or equivalent or above with significant coaching experience, or a former player with experience of playing at a high level who has a committed interest in coaching and a desire to attain further governing body coaching qualifications.
Principal Duties Shall Include:
Coaching & Administration
• assisting the Performance Coach in the delivery of the men’s and women’s student performance squad coaching programme;
• leading the delivery of the men’s and women’s development squad coaching programme;
• leading the match day coaching for either the men’s or women’s first team as agreed with the Performance Coach;
• leading the match day coaching for either the men’s or women’s second team as agreed with the Performance Coach;
• providing coaching support to lower tiered university teams as determined by the Performance Coach;
• working alongside the Performance Coach and Team Durham’s Performance Support Team to develop and assist in the delivery of squad specific and personalised athlete performance support programmes (strength and conditioning, physiotherapy, performance analysis, sports psychology, nutritional guidance and lifestyle mentoring);
• supporting the Performance Coach and Student Executive in the co-ordination of all university representative matches relating to the playing of fixtures, both home and away;
• the undertaking of any other matters deemed necessary to ensure the smooth and successful running of the men’s and women’s hockey programme;
• supporting the organisation and delivery of junior development programmes including camps, after school clubs and England Hockey Talent Development Pathway initiatives.
• organising the medical provision for the squads, liaising with predominantly the physiotherapy team.
• Co-ordinating the logistics for players that are involved in the GBEDP programme.
• working with the Performance Hockey Coach and Team Durham Recruitment Manager to develop and deliver a hockey specific recruitment strategy to identify future student athletes at both undergraduate and postgraduate level;
• deputising for the Performance Hockey Coach where appropriate and necessary by attending identified events and competitions to promote Durham University Hockey;
• liaising with appropriate schools and clubs to identify potential student athletes;
• developing relationships with identified target schools and clubs to promote the Durham University Hockey programme.
Person Specification: Essential (E x 10) Desirable (D x 4)
Minimum England Hockey UKCC Hockey Sessional Coach Award or preferably the UKCC England Hockey Coach Award (or international equivalent) or a former player with experience of playing at a high level who has a committed interest in coaching and a desire to attain further governing body coaching qualifications. E
• Experience of being part of a successful hockey programme. E
• Experience of working with performance athletes. E
• Experience of delivering technical presentations. E
• Experience of managing and motivating either a team or a group of athletes and/or coaches. D
• Experience of working with facility booking systems. D
• An understanding of the needs of students competing at a high level in performance sport. E
• An understanding of coach development programmes. E
• An understanding of the British University sports system. D
• An understanding of student recruitment strategies. D
Skills and Competencies
• Excellent time management skills. E
• An ability to motivate. E
• An ability to work independently and as part of a team. E
• Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. E
How to Apply
Please submit a current CV and a Cover Letter using the following link https://recruitment.durham.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecruit/erq_jobspec_details_form.jobspec?p_id=015205 (if necessary, please copy and paste the link to your browser)
Unless specified in the job description, you must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.
474 total views, 1 today